Hull vs St Helens
Super League
7:45pm Friday 13th September

The KCOM Stadium

Tommy Makinson scored a first-half to ensure Hull FC’s last-ditch bid.
Wigan Warriors‘ victory over Castleford 24 hours earlier handed Hull one chance to procure a top-five spot in the KCOM Stadium.
However, they weren’t great enough to make the most as high-flying Saints ran out thanks to Makinson’s treble and scores for Mark Percival and Regan Grace.
Full-back Lachlan Coote that was visiting transformed only one of his five shots, although it could have been a bigger winning margin.
Saints‘ most up-to-date success came after confirming Tonga head coach Kristian Woolf would be the replacement to Justin Holbrook next season, but the boss does not need to end his stint as a practically guy.
Beaten from Warrington Wolves in the play-off semi-finals of last season, Saints, as favourites went down in a month’s Challenge Cup final.
That defeat ended fantasies of a treble after completing winners of the League Leaders‘ Shield. But, they are still in contention for silverware this year – like Hull.
Thanks to the treble of Makinson, the home side saw their hopes of procuring a top-five location fading quickly and trailed 14-6 at half time.
Makinson swooped pass for his first touch down after nine minutes from Coote’s cut. He added his second six minutes later after a perfectly weighted kick sailed to the corner.
Three was a number to the player and team when he accepted the next Coote pass six minutes to complete his own hat-trick.
In between, prop Scott Taylor powered onto a Jamie Shaul pass to give expectation of a comeback to Hull – and had Marc Sneyd clung on to his kick with the try-line at his fist.
Despite this setback, Hull started as Ratu Naulago tried desperately to achieve Albert Kelly’s kick the second half added another attempt.
Saints wanted their defence to maintain Whites and the Black and, with soaked tension up, they broke away to leave a fourth try to Hull in trouble after 63 minutes from Percival.
Luckily they were left by the wayward location of Coote from drawing degree. However, as despair put in, Hull’s last-ditch strategies failed to add the necessary points.
This was game over when Grace put the finishing touches to Saints‘ win late on to make sure a season extension for thankful Castleford.

Read more: